2.) New Unit: The Cold War
1.) Turn in homework: Chicano and Native American Civil Rights
2.) Civil Rights Socratic Seminar
3.) Women Fight for Equality Assignment
Jocz is out!
1) Turn in homework: Page 723 Questions 1-4
2) "Chicano" documentary. Take notes. Due at end of video
3) Read pages 768-773. Complete graphic organizer Latinos and Native Americans Seek Equality
Mr. Jocz is out!
1.) Read Pages 723 and complete questions 1-4
1) Analyzing Martin Luther King Jr.'s Speech
- Group discussion
- Listening to the speech
- In depth analysis:
Step #3 Group Analysis:
Find examples in MLK’s speech of these techniques for enhancing the effect of a speech:
a) Rhetorical devices used: repetition, allusion, alliteration, metaphor, etc.
b) References or allusions to American history and/or important documents
c) References or allusions to biblical or religious ideas
•Annotate the text and explain how MLK is using each technique.
Cool article about the people behind MLK:
2) Analyzing the movie "Selma"
Research why some historians have criticized the depiction of Lyndon Johnson in the movie Selma. What is your opinion about the controversy?
Read the pages in your textbook and complete the graphic organizer.
1.) Venn Diagram: Martin and Malcolm (Homework check) and class discussion
2.) "I Have a Dream" Speech Analysis
Step #1 First Reading:
1. Annotate the text as you read. Be sure to look up the definition of words you do not know, make comments in the margins, highlight, underline, etc. Engage with the text!
2. List three things that MLK said that you think are important. Cite evidence in the document to support your point.
3. What is your favorite line or phrase in the speech? Why
1.) Collect Homework: Charting Grassroots Civil Rights Movements
2.) Notes: Case Study- The Little Rock 9
3.) MLK and Malcolm X Reading and Questions
4.) Venn Diagram: Similarities and Differences of MLK and X
- Montgomery Bus Boycott Primary Source Activity continued
Why did the boycott succeed?
- Read your textbook and take notes using the graphic organizer.
1) Central High School / Little Rock 9 (pages 703-704)
2) CORE & Sit-Ins (pages 706-707)
3) Freedom Riders (pages 710-711)
4) James Meredith (711)
5) Birmingham (712-714)
Divide your graphic organizer into these categories
Event Issue Challenges Outcome